Intern at political office:
YB Khairy Jamaluddin (“KJ”) is a member of parliament for Rembau, UMNO Youth Leader and Chairman of Barisan Nasional Youth. As a member of Parliament, KJ is responsible for implementing Federal Government policies at the constituency-level. His focus in Rembau has been, among others, on educational and developmental assistance. KJ also plays an active role in Parliamentary debate and formulating legislation, and among the issues that he has often taken up are economic, defence and foreign policy. As the UMNO Youth Leader as well as the Chairman of BN Youth, KJ has introduced political transformation programme for Malaysia’s biggest youth political organisation involving massive voter registration. KJ has also overhauled the internal political education modules and reorientation of political engagement strategy of the Youth Wing.
The intern working for KJ will have the opportunity to be part of his team which supports KJ in doing the above. As such, the responsibilities and job scope of the intern would be as follows:-
- To monitor issues being discussed in the social, electronic, print and on-line media and to help in recommending appropriate strategic responses to the same.
- To help in conducting research on economics, social welfare, bills issued by the Government, defence, foreign policies, environmental issues etc for speech, articles or parliamentary debates. However, it should be noted that research area can be of anything, of any topic – thus the person has to have an intellectual agility and interest to explore and learn new things.
- To help in the running of campaign, special project or programme organised by the office or co-organised with other institution. These can be in many forms, such as academic forums, policy or political meetings, visits to places in Rembau, welfare aid presentation, charity events, kenduri, gotong royong, event launching etc.
- To assist in speech and article writings.
- To assist in the administration of the offices that include setting up rooms for meetings, notes taking etc.
- Any other duties that may be assigned by KJ.
- Excellent in written/spoken Malay and English.
- Excellent research and analytical skills. Not frightened of numbers.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and interested in grassroot works
- Good grasp of the local and international political, social and economic issues will be an added advantage
- Have the experience of managing events, however this is not a major requirement.
- Good attitude, proactive, willing to work long hours, a team player and great of sense of humour
- Flexible and willing to learn new things